The 2011 Formula Student Competition has a record eight TeXtreme® sponsored teams competing with TeXtreme® reinforced race cars. These race cars have benefitted from crucial weight savings and improved performance enabled through use of TeXtreme® Spread Tow Fabrics.
Through use of TeXtreme® the teams have been able to significantly reduce weight of various composite parts. On average, most parts have benefited from a 30% weight saving. While some components have benefitted from 50-60% weight saving. The 2011 competitions have also seen an increase in the range and variety of components manufactured using TeXtreme®, some of which include: nose, nose shell, side panels, side pods, underbody, motor hood, bottom plate, diffuser, chair, footrest, pedals, battery, battery management containers, wings, and monocoque.
Formula Student is a breeding ground for world class engineers. It challenges university students from around the world to design and build a single-seat racing car. These cars are then put to test at the famous Silverstone and Hockenheim circuits.
“TeXtreme® Spread Tow Fabrics are used to make ultra light composites. So it is very pleasing to see that the teams have been able to significantly improve their cars and reduce weight of their composites parts. We are happy that TeXtreme® is a contributing part of this development. The young engineers in the teams are very open to new innovative materials, eager to learn and they are the ones that will lead the composites development in the future. Therefore we feel supporting them with our unique Spread Tow Fabrics is quite obvious”, says Henrik Blycker, CEO of Oxeon.
In 2011, the competition will take place between 13-17 July at Silverstone and between 2-7 August at Hockenheim.
The TeXtreme® sponsored teams in the 2011 competitions are:
• Baltic Racing Team (University of Applied Sciences Stralsund, Germany)
• Chalmers Formula Student (Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden)
• Clear River Racing (Karlstad University, Sweden)
• KA Racing (Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany)
• Lions Racing Team (Braunschweig University of Technology, Germany)
• Raceyard Kiel (University of Applied Sciences Kiel, Germany)
• TU Fast Munich (Technical University Munich, Germany)
• TUW Racing (Vienna University of Technology, Austria)
Oxeon wishes all the teams best of luck in the competitions.